The Guardian is of the view that the Vancouver Winter Olympics are turning into the worst Olympics ever, even beating the financially ruinous games held in Montreal in 1976.
The paper lists a number of "indicators" of failure:
- The faulty hydraulics on the torch bowl in the opening event.
- Lousy transportation infrastructure that caused the Premier of British Columbia, Gordon Campbell, and the chiefs of the four host First Nations to miss the singing of the Canadian anthem at Friday's opening ceremony.
- Safety issues over the Whistler sliding centre.
- The faulty wiring on the Cypress mountain, which blew a fuse at the weekend and closed the concession stands.
- Rain that has washed away snow on Cypress mountain, making it impossible to build spectator viewing areas that would be safe.
All in all a damning indictment of failure.
What else will go wrong I wonder?
Olympic Medals won during the Beijing 2008 Olympics
Don't forget to visit www.theolympicswarehouse.com
www.olympicsdiary.com brought to you by www.kenfrost.com "The Living Brand"